Friday, June 7, 2013

A Little More December

 First real snow storm in Beijing. I found out kids are kids everywhere in the world. Whenever they had a minute the students were outside having a snowball fight, building a snowman or sliding through the snow. For a few of the students this was the first time they had really experienced a large amount of snow. It was fun for everyone - but the drivers of automobiles. Many accidents on this day with even a few fatalities. It is a good thing they don't have too much snow here. It would make life very difficult for the 20 + million who live and work here. It does get very cold, but it seems bearable without having to slosh through the snow to get around.


I thought December 14 would come and go without any fanfare. I had been working at the school for a little less than a month, so I was quit sure no one would know it was my birthday. I was prepared to go home, put my feet up and read a good book and then Skype with my children and grandchildren. Not a horrible way to spend a birthday. However, the day turned out to be a lot more fun. The last period of the day, some students came to my office and told me I was needed in a class. When I got to the room, I was greeted by students and staff to wish me a happy birthday. Even sang to me in English.



It was Jerry's birthday too. He is the boy on my left.
We had enough cake to share with everyone.
That night I got to hear my grandchildren sing to me, and Shelly had her second graders send birthday wishes my way. It also heard from many friends and family by email and Facebook. It turned out to be a very delightful day.

One of the ways they end the year at Beijing #4 High School is to have a run. The day they had picked to run turned out to be the coldest day yet - around one degree fahrenheit. I think they were supposed to run around the track eight times. Many of the students started out, but not too many ended the race. We had one girl that almost passed out, but everyone else was just winded and cold. I am sure you noticed that I did not participate. I needed to take pictures - at least that is what I told them.
Miss Meng, Mr. An and Frank leading the pack.
Students who started.

Students who ended. Very hardy souls.
























































No comments:

Post a Comment