Friday, June 29, 2012

Dinner on Friday


What more can you ask for?

Soy pods, peanuts

Lamb on a stick

How about fired snails to add to the taste of the meal?


Yes, I did eat them.





Street of the fancy restaurant where I ate escargot.

Friday night, after apartment hunting for three hours, Kyle and I stopped to get something to eat.  The roasted lamb smelled wonderful and we decided to eat at one of the little shops on the way home. (This is actually the way I would have had to go home every night if I had rented one of the other apartments.)   Kyle quickly pointed out that the shops along this road were well known for their fried snails and wanted to know if I would like to try some.  I said sure, and they were brought to the table.  

Now I know the first question that popped into your head is why would she try snails and yet not eat the friendly little shrimp in the soup.  I actually have eaten snails before when my family lived in the Samoan Islands. To understand why I would eat them, you have to view life from the mind of a three to six-year old. I was willing to give up the canned peas and beans that were served in my house for the snails and boiled green bananas at the Amu's fale across the street.  I actually can remember sticking a pin in one end and sucking the snail out the other.  It seemed appropriate that if I started my life that way, I should try is again in my later life.  (I was going to say if I started my life that way, I should end my life that way, but that sounded a little too final.)  
So - I did eat them on Friday and really didn't mind them.  They are cooked in oil with very spicy seasoning.  The texture was a little strange - or maybe very strange, but the taste was just plain hot. Will I try them again?  Maybe.  But I don't think it will be a regular dinner choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment