Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A real update

Now that a few days have passed, I think I need to summarize some of my thoughts on this new adventure.  The plane trip over was really very nice.  Korean Air is a very good airline.  I was able to sleep for about seven or eight hours.  They have personal screens and lots of choices for things to watch.  I was able to see the movie “The Iron Lady” which was quite interesting.  I am not sure I liked the format, but I did enjoy learning about Margaret Thatcher.  The food was not great, but it wasn’t bad either.  I have already talked about the layover in the Incheon Airport in Seoul, Korea.  I enjoyed my sleep there and just wandering around.  I was worried about how I was going to get all of my bags through customs when I arrived in China, but I just loaded them onto a cart and started pushing,  They didn’t even stop me to look through anything.  Fortunately Kyle Yang, my business partner was there to pick me up, and I didn’t have to worry much after that.

It is very strange being in a country where I only know a few people, and I don’t know the language.  I think not being able to communicate is very frustrating.  I was going to say that I feel like a little two-year old, but it is really younger than that because I don’t even understand what they are saying let alone have a response.  It was a great help to go to church on Sunday, although my cab driver had a hard time finding the building.  He would look at the map and then drive a little while, then look at the map again and drive some more.  I began to think about the fact that I was in Beijing somewhere with 20,000,000 other people, I didn’t have a phone to call anyone, and I didn’t have any idea where I was.  After a few moments of pure panic, I realized I could show him the card with my address on it and just return home.  

I did finally make it to church - a little late.  I met some very nice people, who all made me feel very welcome.  (I now know about 30 people in Beijing now, but it is better than just one.)  The Relief Society president invited me over for dinner along with four other people, and we all enjoyed getting acquainted with one another.

Actually I was very glad to finish off the day in such a good way because the start was very rocky.  It all started when I got on to Skype with my daughter Kim.  When she answered, her son Jonathan and Kyler’s three boys (who were staying with her) all shouted, “Hi Grandma!”  I instantly burst into tears.I wasn’t sure what possessed me to leave them, and everyone else, to come over here to be alone.  Fortunately, I haven’t had a relapse like that since - just a few minor breakdowns.  I suspect they will be a part of my life until everything settles a bit.  I am sure life will be a little more even when I have my own place and start working.  Nothing like a little work to help fill up the time.  I also am spending a couple of hours a day trying the learn basic Chinese so I don’t feel quite so helpless when I go out.

The food is interesting.  Everything I have eaten has tasted quite good.  They cook all of the food in a lot of fat which has raised a little havoc with my stomach.  I am sure I have lost a few pounds because I haven’t had much sugar, and no snacks since I left home. That and the fact that I use chopsticks to eat with has helped me drop some pounds.  I am getting a little better with the chopsticks.  I can even get most food to my mouth with them now.

The weather has been a little strange.  It is either muggy and hot or muggy and rainy. It hasn’t ever been clear because of the pollution in the air.  It rained off and on all day today, and it is the clearest it has been since I arrived on Friday.  The good news is that I haven’t had to be out in it too much.  The day I made my way to the police station was quite warm.  

Well that about sums it up until now.  It is turning into quite and adventure.  I am sure there are many interesting days to come.  I will keep you posted as they come my way.  Love you all!







1 comment:

  1. It probably seems like you are very much alone and on your own. Friends and family are so very important. You are viewing everything from a completely different perspective. Be strong!

    ReplyDelete