Friday, November 2, 2012

I'm Back!

No, I have not dropped off the edge of the earth.  I am still alive and well in China.  I must admit that last month has been very challenging.  I didn't have any students to teach after the end of September.  I have found that it is not a good idea to sit around in your apartment all day in a foreign country - or probably any country.  After a couple of weeks of doom and gloom, I decided I needed  to pull myself out of it.  I figured since I had soom time, it might be a good thing to learn some Chinese.  I found a class that is for diplomats and their families, but they let me in anyway.  The best part is that it is free.  No - that is not the best part.  The best part is meeting some wonderful young woman from all around the world whose husbands are here as diplomats from their countries.  They come from Korea, Thailand, Indonesia, Belgium, Germany, France and Angora.  It has been a delightful experience getting to know them.  Last week we went to lunch after class.  Next Tuesday we are going to the home of one of the Indonesian lady's home and have home cooked Indonesian food.  Finding the class was one of the things that helped me get a grip on life again.

We had a cultural day at the Chinese class where we learned Chinese knot tying.  The teacher asked if our countries had knot tying as a craft.  I quickly said, "No."  Then the instructor started explaining the process, and I realized I had done the same thing in grade school.  You know.  We had four long lengths of plastic and we would weave them together.  It brought back some great memories at Groveland Elementary.  I did much better at the knot tying than I do at my Chinese.




This is the group with our finished products - feeling pretty proud of ourselves.  I am sure I have a learning disability in arts and crafts, so I was very excited to complete the project.  The woman in the green was the one who taught us how to tie the knots.  The cute lady in the front row in the brown dress and black sweater is the Chinese teacher.  She is really earning her pay while working with me.  I am not progressing very fast.  Maybe if I take the same class a couple more times, I will at least be able to communicate with the cab drivers.  That would be GREAT!

This is a better picture of our teacher.  She is doing a great job.   


Two Saturdays ago I heard a lot of commotion out of my window.  At first it sounded like bagpipe playing, but as it got closer I could tell they were playing flutes and drums.  I am glad I live above a fancy restaurant so that I get to participate some of their traditions. This turned out to be a traditional Chinese wedding.  They are carrying the bride down the street to join her husband.



I am not sure what is really going on, but there appears to be a man who is in charge of the ceremony.  He is in the middle of the picture in red and yellow, and the groom has all red clothing and is directly to the right of him.  
 After quite a bit of talking the groom comes forward to help the bride out of the carriage.  Her face is covered.

When they reach the steps, the animals put on quite a performance that I am sure has a great deal of significance.  I just don't know what it is.  I would like to go to a traditional wedding sometime and really gain an understanding of what is going on.
And they lived happily ever after too.









1 comment:

  1. I have wondered about you, Marilyn. I check your blog often and wondered why you didn't have any blog updates in a long time. Glad you found something to get wrapped up in. I can only imagine how challenging it is for you being alone in China. BLESS YOU! Debbie

    ReplyDelete