Monday, July 2, 2012

10 days and counting

Well, I have been in China about ten days.  It has been a roller coaster ride for sure.  There have moments of complete terror, moments of extreme loneliness and moments of great satisfaction.  The only way I have been able to calm the loneliness and terror is through constant prayer.  I have spent a great deal of time in the last ten days praying.  I have prayed about finding an apartment, about getting a cab and having the cab driver know where I need to go.  My prayers for blessing the food are much more sincere now.  I have prayed about courage to walk out the door to go to the bank or on some other errand.  I know through it all that the Lord has been by my side.  I have been led to places and people who have helped me in every way.  I met a man by the name of Victor who has been a great support with every aspect of getting an apartment.  I am sure I wouldn't have one by now without his help.  Each time I kneel down, the first thing I do is to express my gratitude for everything the Lord is doing for me. Usually that is followed with a sincere need. Thank goodness for prayer, and thank goodness for the Lord who made it possible to call for help.   
 
I also am very grateful for Skype so that I can see my family.  It is such a blessing to see them and talk with them.  What did we do before the computers and all of the technology?  Twenty years ago all we could do was send letters and pictures.  Later we added email.  Now I can watch the grandchildren eat or sing or play.  What fun!
 
I do know that I am adjusting each day.  Yesterday I was walking home from meeting with the realtors when I realized that I was smiling.  Usually on my walks, I have been so intent on where I am going and how to get somewhere that smiling has not been an option.  Last night I just enjoyed the walk - and smiled.  A few of the people smiled back and said, "ni hao."  I am sure the times of smiling will increase each day.
 
A woman was selling t-shirts outside of the place where I am staying.  One of the shirts said, "Don't need to marry a prince to be a queen."  It made me laugh out loud.  I would have bought the shirt, but it would only cover part of my body.  All of the women here are so petite; I think I equal about two of them.  I really do stand out in a crowd.  I showed the students some pictures of my family.  They could not believe how tall they are.  I think it would be great for all of my children and their spouses to come to China at the same time.  I am sure we would be quite a spectacle - might even make the news.
 
I keep looking for food that I recognize and visited a little bakery today.  There aren't very many of them.  In fact the Chinese don't eat very much bread.  I was so excited to see loaves of bread and some pastries.  The Danish rolls caught my eye because they looked like they might have marzipan in them.  No such luck.  They didn't taste at all like the Danish pastries I am used to eating.  I really am in China.

2 comments:

  1. Please know that I have had you on my mind, a whole lot! And in my prayers even more. I'm so proud of you stepping out of the box and sharing and growing even more. You're awesome and very loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving reading your blog. Wish I could be there with you. I have to laugh when you talk about Danish rolls because you really have to go to Denmark to know what they are supposed to taste like. But then it ruins you for life to eat any other pastries that they try to pass off for Danish.
    I love when you talk about the constant prayers. That's how we all should be living each day.
    BRAVO, my dear friend! Love you

    ReplyDelete