Monday, July 30, 2012

Making My Way to Work

Since I have had the Internet for longer than two days, I thought I would hurry and write another post. I have had these pictures for quite a while, but just couldn't get them posted before now.  I leave for work at 8:00 in order to arrive there about 8:50.  I put about 3700 steps on my pedometer in the process of getting there.  It is a mile from my place to the subway station, and I take the rest of the steps in the subway or walking the last bit to the place where I work.  I don't mind the walk in the morning, but coming home, that mile is very long, especially right now when it is soooooo hot and muggy.  (I am sure I will feel the same way when it's cold in the winter.

I took this picture from the window by the elevator just after I walked out of my apartment on the 13th floor.  It is a good thing I live in China; they don't think 13 is an unlucky number.


This is the way out of the apartment complex.  I don't have to show any identification, but they do have a man at the gate all of the time to monitor who goes in or out.  He is the one in the uniform. The man who is sitting by the gate is from Kosovo.  He is here visiting his son and doesn't have anything to do, so he sits there most of the day visiting with all of us as we come and go.


Once I leave the complex, I walk down this lovely street.  They keep is very clean, and there are some nice little shops all along the way.


Then I turn the corner! During the summer months, there is a farmers' market every morning in one section of my path.  I don't know what time they start, but everyone is gone by 8:30.  I think many people go every day or every other day to shop.


You really need to zoom in on this picture to see all of the bicycles and people waiting for the buses .  I finally found a way to walk that didn't take me through all of the confusion.


I can't even begin to describe the subway in the morning.  It is the worst part of the morning - no, the whole day.  I have to go three stops on Line 1 which is the busiest train in Beijing.  During the rush hours they have pushers just like they do in Japan.  The train is already completely full, but then about 8 or 10 people get on, and finally the pushers cram about six more on before the door closes.  I would take a picture, but I can't lift my arms.  I don't have to worry about falling down when the train stops because there is no where to move.  The really interesting part is everyone is glued together, but then a person or two has to make their way through the group in order to get out at the next stop.  Somehow it works.  Fortunately, many people leave the train at the stop just before mine, so I can move to the door a little easier.  After the 10 minute ride on Line 1, there is nothing that happens during the day that can be worse.  I do have to transfer to Line 5, but it is mild compared the Line 1.  After two stops I come out of the depth of the earth into the light.

I only have to go two blocks to get to where I work, but there is one crazy street corner to get across before arriving safely.  It is a moving mass of humanity with all of the people, bikes, scooters and cars.  They do have a light for pedestrians there, but the bikes and scooters go at the same time.  It's a great experience.




I finally reach the Music School where I teach the students from 9:00 to 12:00.  The way home is quite a bit calmer - thank goodness.  I am not sure what I will do when I start teaching students all day and have to go home when everyone else does.  I may have to figure out how to ride the bus. Maybe that will be my next goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment