Sunday, July 29, 2012

My First Excursion

Entrance to the Wangfujing Bookstore
Last Saturday I was going to leave my safe, quiet apartment and venture out on an excursion, but my plan was interrupted by the terrible storm. Monday the sky was a beautiful blue with no chance of rain, so I determined I should have my first-off-the-beaten-path experience. Many of you will not be surprised to hear that my first adventure was a visit to a bookstore - with English books. Partially because I needed to find a Chinese/English dictionary since I left mine at home, and it seemed like a good place to spend a hot, humid afternoon. After identifying the appropriate subway stop, I was on my way. Whenever I go someplace new, I have to carefully note any stores that will help me find my way back to the subway station. I often wish I could be like Hansel and Gretel and leave bread crumbs to lead me home, but instead of dropping bread, I have to memorize the stores I pass. After asking directions from four different people who would point the way to go and guide me closer to my goal, I found myself in front of the largest bookstore I have ever seen. In all it had six floors of books. The English section was on the third floor. I spent about an hour or more just wandering around. I skipped the self-help book section because I figure it is too late for them to change me. I also quickly passed by the diet books because moving to China has solved that problem. Eventually I found my dictionary and a few other books before following my path back to the subway station. (I always carry my address with me that is written in Chinese characters just in case I get really lost and need to catch a cab home.) About thirty-five minutes later, I was sitting in my safe, quiet apartment eating some food from the local market and reading a book called “The House on Mango Street” by Sandra Cisneros.

Looking to the left as I leave the bookstore.










Looking to the right.



Finding my way back to the subway station.

 

1 comment:

  1. You left your Chinese/English dictionary home???? Why would you even have a Chinese / English dictionary if it were not to clutch tightly to your bosom at all times?!?! You're crazy. Sorry I missed reading this before and I'm a little behind but trying to catch up now - do you need a belt yet??
    Love you bunches,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete