Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Snapshots of the Day


Look closely for the scooter in the middle of the picture.  It is a scooter taxi that takes people for just short distances.  For instance, this one is outside my complex and would take people to the subway stations.  It costs 10 RMB which is about $1.60.  Every day as I start my 20 minute walk, I am very tempted to use it, but then this little voice that sounds just like DeVon Hale's voice shouts, "DON'T DO IT!!!" I did try it one day when I thought I was going to be late for work.  I picked a lady driver because I assumed she might drive more safely.  I am not sure that is true.  I am glad that I sat backwards in it because then I couldn't see all the cars coming toward us or the bicycles and scooters we were trying to dodge.  I made it safely to the subway and even made it to work on time.  


So while I was looking for the food to make my first  dinner, I found real Lay potato  chips.   I have found quite a few American foods here - such as chocolate - and have resisted the temptation to buy any.  I just could not walk past the salt and vinegar chips.  Now I have to find some meat slices to add to my cheese so I can have a sandwich and potato chips.  Ah those little luxuries in life.

This is a picture of my first home cooked meal.  In case you can't tell what it is, it is a piece of toast (toasted in the firing pan), a slice of cheese and two scrabbled eggs - and black pepper.  I know it looks like a simple meal, but it took a little while to get everything together to fix it.  I bought the utensils when I moved into the apartment.  Finally found a frying pan last Friday.  The eggs are in all of the markets, and I found the bread a while ago.  But the butter, cheese and black pepper have taken a little time.  I finally located them yesterday in a little market.  I still haven't discovered the salt, but it isn't that good for me anyway.  Tonight I put everything together and had a lovely dinner that I made myself.  As the Germans would say, "Guten Appetite!"  (What am I doing in China?)

No comments:

Post a Comment