Monday, July 2, 2012

Class is in session

So - I started teaching my first group of students yesterday.  It has been very good for many reasons.  First, it is good to have something to do in the day.  I teach from 9:00 to 12:00, and it takes me about an hour to get there and another hour to get back.  It is always good to have something to do.  Second, I am enjoying working with the students.  They are all music students and are going to different universities in Poland to study.  They spend four hours a day learning Polish and three hours learning English.  Most of the started taking English in the primary grades, but  the teachers were Chinese and didn't have the correct English pronunciation.  In high school they were usually in classes of 100 to 150 students, so you can see that they wouldn't have much one-on-one speaking with the teacher.  I have the fun part - just talking with them or having them talk with each other all the time.  It is fun to see how much confidence they gain the more they speak.  They say that Polish is very hard compared to English, but I am sure it is just because they are being introduced to it for the very first time.  I hope it works out well for them.  They are excited about the music part, but not so sure about the rest.  The universities must have people there to help them become acquainted with the culture and studying.  I can relate to how they are feeling.  Hopefully, we will all survive our first year.


My first close of students who are going to Poland to study music at the universities.


1 comment: