Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tuesday Morning in Hong Kong



I had a great breakfast at the hotel and then started on my morning adventure.  I decided I would ride the funicular (cable car) to The Peak - the highest mountain on Hong Kong Island.  Once again the concierge told me the bus to take and which stop to get off of in order to reach my destination.  Once I left the bus stop, I had to walk about three or four blocks to catch the funicular.



Pictures out the window on the way up to the top.



When I reached the end of the cable car run, I could see that I really wasn't at the peak of the mountain, so I decided I would follow the road up a little higher.  I think it was a little less than a mile before the road ran out, but in the meantime I was able to see some beautiful scenes on my way there and back.


Scenes from the backside of Hong Kong Island.

 There was a beautiful little park on the way to the top.
 Some little sparrows that didn't even care I was standing right above them taking their picture.  They were having too much fun in the puddle of water.



I discovered that I still didn't make it to the peak.  I would have had to hike on a trail for about 20 more minutes to reach the very top.  But I did take a picture.  Maybe another time.

It was a hazy day so the pictures from the top aren't as good as they could be on a bright, clear day.



Looking down at Hong Kong and across the bay to Kowloon.



So I guess I wouldn't call The Peak a mountain - at least compared to the mountains in my back yard in Utah, but it is high for this area.  
 This picture shows how steep the grade of the cable car is compared to the buildings around it.






















No comments:

Post a Comment