Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Visit to the Silk Market

Last Friday on my way home from work, I decided to stop at the Silk Market to see if I could find a summer (fall) blanket.  The Silk Market is six floors of little shops of almost anything you could imagine.  I am not sure how they make any money because there are about 10 to 15 shops, right together, who sell the very same thing, such as sunglasses, clothes, toys, suitcases, small electrical appliances, shoes, jewelry, etc.   As I passed each store, the shopkeeper would call out, "Hey Lady, would you like to buy.  I give you very good price - only for today.  Come in and look at my beautiful things."  I found the most interesting shops were the ones selling sunglasses because I had a pair of sunglasses on my head.  I would point to them, and they would say, "You need another pair?  I give you very good price."  

In China it is appropriate to bargain for the things you want to purchase at the market places.  I asked someone what I should end up paying.  He told me to go to 10% of the asking price and then work your way up to no more than 30%.  I asked another person who has lived here for about four years, how she bargains.  She says she decides in her head what she thinks is an appropriate amount, and then works up to that.  I liked the advice from both of them.  I tried it for the blanket and got it from 600 Yuan down to 200 Yuan which is about $30 - I thought was a pretty good price for a silk blanket.  

For those of you who have been to the Silk Market before, you probably do not recognize it.  Instead of just open stalls, most of tim now have glass-inclosed rooms.  It makes it look much nicer, but the people who have lived here for a while say it has taken the prices up.  

 Looking down a long corridor with the little businesses on the right, and a tailor business on the left.  The tailor had some beautiful material to make coats, suits, jacket, dresses - anything you would want.

 Sorry this photo is so dark.  It was one of the few places where the girls were okay about having their pictures taken.  This store sold sheets and bed coverings.

 There are still some little shops set up along the stairways which sell knick-knacks and souvenirs.


 This little shop had all kinds of chopsticks.  It had other things too, but had two walls of different kinds of chopsticks.  

 There were many shops with jade pieces and other things to decorate the home.  


Of course there were pearl shops.  You decide what necklace you want, and they string while you wait.

In all it was a fun afternoon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment