Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Fast Food Update

I was on my way to work this morning when I spotted the little girl sleeping on the table outside of the food trailer.  She was absolutely dead to the world - even though she was surrounded by noisy people, honking cars and miscellaneous vehicles.  I haven't seen her before, so I guess Mom and Dad just couldn't find a babysitter today.  I am sorry the picture isn't better, but I snapped it quickly so her father wouldn't stop me.  Besides - I needed to get to work.


Today was a very hot day.  As Ed McMann would ask Johnny Carson, "How hot was it?"  Well let me tell you how hot it was.  It was 91 degrees with 74% humidity.  I am sure there have been other days that have been just as hot, but today was a knockout from the moment I walked out the door.  Usually on my way to work I have a one-or-two-tissue day.  (That is how many I use in the morning commute to wipe the sweat off my face, neck  and arms.)  Today was a six-tissue day.  I had only walked a couple of blocks before water was pouring off of my body, and it only got worse on the subway train.  In fact I felt bad for the people who were glued to me because water was dripping off my arm, and I couldn't  move my hand to wipe the drops.  I think all of the moisture was out of my body by the time I came up out of the subway station.  That is when I started to feel a little faint.  I really didn't want to pass out on the street two blocks from work, so I walked very slowly and managed to remain standing.  I drank as much water as I could while I was teaching and hoped that going home would be easier.  I always carry a bottle of water to drink on my way home, but unfortunately even that didn't help.  I decided my body was out of electrolytes and decided to see if I could find some Gatorade at the little market.  Much to my surprise, they did have it.  I drank it down pretty quickly.  Then after a cold shower, a little lunch and a nap, I finally felt like myself again.  Hopefully, tomorrow will not be as bad.  I will be sooooooo grateful when August is over, and Beijing cools down a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment