Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Two Days of Rain and Miscellaneous Thoughts


We've just had two days of rain in Beijing - not the pouring down, flood the city rain that we had a week and a half ago - but light to medium rain for about 48 hours.  Actually it was very nice because it took the temperature down about 10 degrees.  I discovered that I have a lot more energy when it is cooler; that final mile home wasn't quite so miserable.  Life really goes on as normal in rain or sun except the world is filled with colorful umbrellas and the little scooter taxis are very busy.  I don't think I have mentioned it, but the Chinese call the scooter taxis "the killing machines."  I was told that they are really illegal, but the government doesn't stop them.  I guess I shouldn't use them very much; although, I haven't seen anyone crash.  

I saw a t-shirt today with an interesting message.  It said, "The end of learning is not knowledge; it is action."  No, I do not read Chinese.  All of the messages on the t-shirts are in English.  Some of them have very good messages and some have very humorous mistakes.  I will try and pass a few on now and then.

I found some bacon in the store yesterday, so I had a wonderful bacon and tomato sandwich for dinner tonight.  When I added the salt and vinegar chips, I had a heavenly meal.  I keep finding new things every time I go to the store, so I am getting quite a variety now. 

I've been watching the Olympics, but  I haven't seen any of the US participants unless they are competing against the Chinese.  I think the favorite Chinese sport is table tennis, and they have shown every match they have played.  My students were very excited about it today.  Whenever the TV station reviews the medals for the day, they play the song "We Are the Champions of the World" in English.  They are doing very well, I have to admit.  I guess it helps to have a billion and a half  people  to choose from.

No comments:

Post a Comment