Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Two-month Reflection


Today is August 28, and I have been in China a little over two months.  I thought it might be a good idea to report what I have learned, but I don’t think I can even begin to tell you everything, and you probably would be bored if I did.  I certainly did turn my world upside down when I stepped on the plane for China.  I don’t think I have felt so vulnerable for years - and maybe for my whole life.  I am not sure if it was courageous or stupid to set out on such an adventure by myself, but I did, and I am still alive.  That is a very good thing.  I have felt all along that this was something I was supposed to do, and have felt protected and guided all the time I have been here.  I only have one major obstacle to get through, and that is getting a work visa.  I found out yesterday the music school will help me get it.  

I miss my family and friends very much, but I am learning to love the people and culture of China more every day.  I think that is one of the reasons I like to go to a country to live for a while.  If I take a one or two week trip to a country, I can see some of the beautiful places.  However, if I spend some time there, I learn to know the hearts of the people, and their dreams and hopes.  I know my students probably don’t represent all of the Chinese people because every group of people has good and bad.  But the students are outstanding examples of the Chinese people.  They are fun, dedicated and lively.  They have a positive outlook on life and are very excited about going to Poland to study music.  (Although they do not like speaking Polish because it is so hard to learn.  I feel the same way about speaking Chinese, so we commiserate with each other.)  I am sure my life will be richly blessed by the people I meet here and the things I will learn from them.

There is one thing that has helped me get through the last two months. I decided that I should have scripture study time each morning.  I usually wake up between 5:30 and 6:00 each morning and spend until 7:00 in personal study and prayer.  Especially when things were so difficult at first, that hour or more calmed my heart and gave me the courage to face the new things I was experiencing.  I have felt the calming guidance and sweet comfort of the Spirit each day.  I quit being surprised when people arrived to help me, or I was given instructions on how to complete something or find a place.  The last example of that is having the music school help me with my visa.

I have had some interesting experiences in one area of my life, and that has to do with the commandment to keep the Sabbath Day holy.  In China, Sunday is no different that any other day.  Actually businesses and schools are only from Monday to Friday, but all of the stores are open.  It is interesting how many times I have had to tell people that I don’t work on Sunday - especially my business partner.  I finally decided I should speak to him and explain how I feel about the Sabbath Day.  I explained that keeping the Sabbath Day holy is an expression of love to God for all he has given me.  In fact it is a covenant I make with him.  I also explained that I believed our business will do better if we don’t teach students or hold meetings on Sundays.  (By the way he is a naturalized American citizen, so it is all right to talk to him about religion.)  He was very understanding, and thanked me for talking to him about it.  He asked me what I could do on Sunday.  I explained that I can go to church and other meetings, if I were home I would see family, in China can I spend time with friends, and basically I can do anything that will draw me closer to the Lord.  I didn’t mention that it also is a great day to take a nap to refresh to body.  I was glad that I took the opportunity to talk to Kyle about it.  He hasn't asked to hold a meeting on Sunday since our discussion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment