Friday, August 3, 2012

The Drinking Water Adventure

I haven't mentioned that I do not have drinking water in my apartment - not very many living quarters do in China.  I have the privilege of fetching my own water.  Luckily, there is a machine in my complex where I can purchase a five liter bottle of water for about six cents.  The price is right.  Unfortunately for me, the machine is at the other end of the complex - about 260 steps each way.  It is not a problem right now, but I am sure it will be much more exciting in the winter. Right now I am trying to store enough water for two weeks.  The storm last week made me a little nervous about having enough in case there are other problems.

I have been drinking bottled water since arriving in Beijing.  I kept having bowel trouble - a nice name for diarrhea - and thought it was just because of the food.  Then one day I realized I was using tap water in my oatmeal each morning. I stopped that immediately, but still continued to have some problems.  It wasn't until one morning that I realized I was using tap water to brush my teeth.  Old habits die hard.  Now I brush with bottled water, and my body seems to be doing a little better.


This is a picture of the wonderful drinking water machine.  I am very grateful to have one that is so inexpensive.  The same thing would cost $1.50 a bottle in the store.


It actually is very convenient to have the machine so close to where I live.  Otherwise I would have to have it delivered or go to a market which is even farther away.


The machine is just off to the right of the path.  My building is the one at the end of the road - 260 steps away.


A picture of my water storage.  I have some bottles in the closet as well.  I don't think I would like to be without water for very long.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that drinking water in China was a problem. All of your blogs are very interesting. How long have you been there now? Debbie G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Marilyn! I'm so sorry you were sick for so long - yuck! Glad you figured it out and have room to store extra!!
    Hugs - Katie

    ReplyDelete